1992 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer, 4x4, 4-door, V-6 4.3l Vortec, 20+ Mpg on 2040cars
Hartville, Missouri, United States
I purchased this blazer in 2002 and have maintained it regularly. I would trust it on any long-distance road trip as-is. It is in good drivable condition and gets a decent 21-24 MPG. We bought a van for our family and no longer need this great little SUV.
It is a four door model, so there is quite a bit of room in the back as you can see in the photos. The rear seat can fold down to extend the cargo area. I once put a chest freezer in it and closed the tailgate and glass. It is comfortable for 4 or 5 people to travel in with luggage. The rack on top works well for hauling home plywood from the lumber yard.
It does have some age, so I will be transparent and show the pros and cons so you know up-front what to expect.
- V-6 4.3L Vortec engine starts easily in cold weather and runs reliably
- Power windows, mirrors, & locks
- Cruise control and parking brake work well
- Transmission shifts smoothly
- 4x4, but halfway a manual operation; see below
- Pioneer CD stereo
- Front upholstery is worn but still very usable
- Rear upholstery is in good condition
- Headliner is in decent condition (not sagging on your head)
- Back seat folds down to extend cargo area
- Good spare tire
Could be fixed:
- Front 4-wheel drive vacuum actuator is out (a $50 part from my local auto parts store); I engage it manually during the winter months and switch the transfer case normally with the switch inside when 4-wheel drive is needed; if the actuator was replaced, the 4-wheel drive would be a simple push-button operation like normal
- Front brakes will need replaced soon (new pads are included)
- Starter solenoid does not hit every time, you may have to click it several times before it will crank but it will eventually start; this is a typical problem on the S-10 model
- Driver door handle (outside) is broken but still works; you just need to know how to do it (a $25 part)
- Tailgate/rear glass latch handle is broken (a $65 part)
- Rear glass gas struts do not work, hence the vise-grips in the last photo on the left strut rod to keep it open
- Some rust on the right side; see photos
- A crack in the windshield, but is not a factor; a few small chips
- There are some stains in the carpet in the back
- Both left tires get soft after a couple of weeks
- The battery gets weak and will not crank the engine after sitting for about a week; there is either a parasitic load somewhere or the battery is just going bad; this developed slowly a few months before I quit driving it, so I tend to think it is the latter
- Both front inside door handles are gone
- Odometer no longer functions; the mileage listed is the last known from last summer
I hate to get rid of it as it is a great vehicle, but I no longer need it and hope someone else can get as much good use out of it as I did.
Chevrolet Blazer for Sale
Auto Services in Missouri
Auto Repair & Service
Address: 927 E Broadway, West-Alton
Phone: (618) 462-0616
Auto Repair & Service, Automobile Body Repairing & Painting, Automobile Parts & Supplies
Address: 11405 Gravois Rd, Des-Peres
Phone: (314) 843-4461
Auto Repair & Service
Address: 2059 N Washington Ave, Willard
Phone: (417) 864-9808
Automobile Body Repairing & Painting, Dent Removal, Truck Painting & Lettering
Address: 95 Boone Hills Dr, Saint-Ann
Phone: (636) 928-9919
Auto Repair & Service, Glass-Auto, Plate, Window, Etc, Windshield Repair
Address: 9051 Watson Rd, Breckenridge-Hills
Phone: (314) 315-4654
Auto Repair & Service, Auto Transmission, Mufflers & Exhaust Systems
Address: 320 S Bernhardt Ave, Gerald
Phone: (573) 764-5540
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:12:00 EST
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:30:00 EST
The Detroit Free Press is reporting that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration may expand a recall campaign for faulty brake lamps. The agency is currently looking into complaints that certain 2004-2011 Chevrolet Malibu models as well as some 2007-2009 Saturn Aura sedans may have brake lights that do not illuminate when the driver presses the pedal. Alternatively, the lamps may also illuminate without input from the driver. General Motors recalled 8,000 Pontiac G6 models from the 2005 model year for the same problem, and NHTSA is currently investigating whether to add 550,000 more G6 models built between 2005 and 2009 to the list for the same issue.
In addition, investigators are currently examining 97 complaints from Malibu and Aura owners with the same trouble. If NHTSA adds those models to the recall campaign, more than one million units could be covered. GM, meanwhile, says there have been no accidents or injuries as a result of the problem.
It's been a little over a year and a half since General Motors first confirmed plans to offer a diesel-powered Chevrolet Cruze here in the United States, and we've now learned that the oil-burning compact will debut under the lights of the Chicago Auto Show in February. According to GM Authority, the Cruze Eco-D will be introduced as part of the entire 2014 model year Cruze range, set to go on sale in the second quarter of this year.
Thu, 12 Sep 2013 16:20:00 EST
Earlier reports have indicated that the diesel Cruze will be able to achieve fuel economy numbers in the range of 50 miles per gallon. For comparison, the similarly sized Volkswagen Jetta TDI is rated at 30/42 mpg city/highway, but as we found out in our long-term test of the 2011 model, hitting 50 mpg was a piece of cake.
Official specifications will be released at the time of the 2014 Cruze's unveiling, though reports have stated that the sedan will be powered by a reworked version of the 2.0-liter turbo-diesel inline-four found in the Holden Cruze CDX overseas. In that application, the four-pot oil-burner produces 160 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque - increases of 20 hp and 29 lb-ft over the 2.0-liter engine used in VW's Jetta TDI.
General Motors has officially captured the horsepower crown for mainstream pickup trucks with its 6.2-liter V8. The big mill, available in both the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, comes to market with 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque, handily outdoing its two cross-town competitors, Ram (5.7-liter V8, 395 ponies and 407 lb-ft) and Ford (6.2-liter V8, 411 hp and 434 lb-ft).
The new GM 6.2 will take a bit of an investment, though. Those that want the extra thrust will need to go with either the LTZ or High Country trims from the Chevy, or the SLT and Denali trims from GMC, which are the two highest trim levels for the respective vehicles. Trim levels aside, if you're in the business of towing, GM has you covered. Optioned with the 6.2-liter V8 and the Max Trailering Package, owners will be able to pull 12,000 pounds, a hugely impressive figure.
We still aren't certain as to what sort of economy the new engine will get, but it'll probably be a bad bet for the fuel conscious. As for availability, expect to see the 6.2-liter trucks in showrooms later in the fall.